You may or may not already know: there's this band called Viet Cong. And you also may or may not know: that name is offensive to a whole lot of Vietnamese and Southeast Asian people.
They're about to play First Ave. here in Minneapolis, and here's the petition asking/demanding: "change your band's name, and provide more critical thought into whatever it is that you choose."
I signed it, and I'd encourage you to sign it too. I'll share a few further thoughts below, but I'd suggest people first check out the text of the petition ("The name is a reminder of a history’s worth of violence and trauma to many Southeast Asian communities..."), and also read these links for some background info and commentary:
- Angry Asian Man: Meet the Four White Dudes Who Call Themselves "Viet Cong"
- Sang Nguyen at Impose Magazine: Dear Viet Cong
- Charles Lam at City Pages: Viet Cong is a Stupid Band Name
- Slant Eye for the Round Eye: When You Name Your Band "Viet Cong" Prepare to Get Banned
- April Aliermo: Not Yours to Play With: Why Viet Cong's Name Offends