Hey-- just a few exciting updates.
1. Hip Hop Against Homophobia volume SIX is this Friday the 23rd at the Bedlam Theater. All the info is in the flyer. The Bedlam, in case you haven't heard, will be relocating this Fall. It's always been one of my favorite places to both perform and watch events. Wherever they end up, I'm sure they'll continue doing great things.
2. The National Poetry Slam is shaping up to be one of the best ever. The side-event schedule is up now, so be sure to check that out. Lots of great workshops, open mics and discussions. Our team (Saint Paul) will be facing Dallas, NYC Urbana, Chino, Palatine, Baton Rouge and the Twin Cities' own Punch Out Poetry team in two preliminary bouts. Both will be tough, but we've been practicing 'round the clock and are going to represent.
3. We shot a music video. Going to announce it soon. Check back.
4. Two really cool Canvas events coming up: This Thursday (the 22nd), I'll be leading a workshop on identity, privilege, oppression and social justice. Next Thursday (the 29th), Desdamona will be leading a workshop/discussion on women in hip hop. Both are for teens, so if you know any, spread the word. Both will be held 6-8pm at Canvas (1610 Hubbard Ave., across Snelling from Hamline University).
5. New Guante & Big Cats! mixtape coming along. Will announce soon. It's a collection of a few older, lesser-known tracks, a few live tracks and a few brand-new tracks. Storytelling, shit-talking, progressive politics, gallows humor, love songs and more, all in about half-an-hour. Can't wait to release it.