A BUNCH OF RANDOM UPDATES:
1. New post at CultureBully listing our favorite "political" songs: add to the list here.
2. Guante & Big Cats! are on BandCamp now. You can hear our whole EP, "Start a Fire" for free, and buy it track by track if there's a shred of a human soul rattling around in your hollow frame. My favorite songs off that project are "The Hero" and "Dragons." There's a slightly different version of "Dragons" on our full-length, but you'll see.
3. Speaking of our full-length,"An Unwelcome Guest," big news this week. Stay tuned. The album is done, and we're looking at a December release. But like I said, we'll be leaking something cool this week.
4. We shot a video for "One of These Mornings" with the amazing One Light Collective. Because of the concept, there's going to be a lot of post-production, so it might not be out for a few months still, but it should be worth the wait. Big thanks to everyone who came out in the cold to be extras-- Rodrigo, Bryan, Jillian & friends, SeeMore & Sarah, Sha & EG, plus all the actors and crew.
5. Big shows this month: the Fong Lee benefit show at Macalester was huge, and full of amazing artists coming together to speak out against police brutality and honor the memory of Fong Lee. His family was inspiring. I also performed at Bryan Thao Worra's book release show, which was a lot of fun. Bryan's one of my favorite poets, and his new book is fantastic (it's called "Barrow"). Also played a show at Sobriety High School for their Fall Ball, which is always fun. Next up is a political prisoner benefit gig at the Bedlam on Sunday, and then we're off on a short tour-- details announced very soon.
6. I've decided that if the Packers don't have a good season, I may as well root for the Vikings. But if I'm going to do that, they'd better win the damn Superbowl, and not get knocked out in the second round of the playoffs like they always do when they're good.
7. Finally finished some new poems. Think I might slam in November. Did you know that the National Poetry Slam is going to be in St. Paul in 2010? Should be pretty wild.
8. If I had been smart and voted for myself in the City Pages "Picked to Click" poll, I think I would have cracked the top ten. Blessing in disguise, though; gunning for #1 in 2010. Let's hope people enjoy this crazy-ass album about zombies and superhero mythology and love and displacement.
9. Found myself at an Old Country Buffet the other day. The food wasn't very good, but I did enjoy having lots of different drinks (choosing one drink is so confining). On second thought, the nacho bar was quite good. Been spending all my money on Amazing Thailand, Quang and Jasmine Deli.
10. Late-pass, I know, but the funniest thing about the whole Kanye situation is that that Beyonce video he loves so much is just your standard "women dancing in front of a white background" video. GREATEST OF ALL TIME.
11. Yes, I officially dropped the "el" from my name. All the websites still have it, so i'm thinking of it as a more formal version. But from here on out, on fliers, press releases and albums, it's just "Guante." Thanks.
12. Follow me on Twitter for more frequent updates, because I'm sure that's what you really want.
THIS IS HERE BECAUSE I NEEDED TO UPLOAD FOR A PROJECT, PLEASE IGNORE: