1. The show last night was wild-- big thanks to everyone who came out to Eclipse Records. Big Cats and the band really held it down, and I was pretty good too. We're already thinking about our next show. Big ups to MC Harv for throwing a great release party as well; packed house, beautiful audience. I'll get some photos of it up soon.
2. Finally broke my new music fast and have been listening to a lot of great stuff: the Janelle Monae album (which is brilliant... like what Andre3k has been TRYING to do), the new Raphael Saadiq album (can't pick a stand-out track, but it's very solid overall), Pink's "Sober," (favorite song of the moment; sue me), Devotchka, Haley Bonar, Brandi Carlile, the new Kanye. If I were more on-the-ball I could have reviewed all this stuff for Culture Bully, but i'm generally a month or two behind on new music. Also some great local hip hop: Kristoff Krane's "This Will Work For Now" and Death Ray Scientific's self-titled joint. It's been a good month.
3. HIP HOP AGAINST HOMOPHOBIA on 1/23 at the Nomad. I'll be posting the flyer and lots more info soon. Also, there'll be a short anti- DOMA rally on 1/10; more info coming.
4. My mixtape, "Conscious Is Not Enough," came in at #7 on the Vita.MN readers' poll of best local albums of 2008. That's kind of a surprise.
5. Just finished a great spoken-word residency at Ubah Medical Academy in Hopkins, and am about to start a new one at North High in Minneapolis. Big ups to Project Success and the Minnesota Spoken-Word Association. Both are doing some amazing work, and I'm glad I can be a part of it.
6. New blog/website devoted to the Twin Cities spoken-word scene: CHECK IT OUT.
7. I have an article on hip hop, activism and "hip hop activism" in this month's Mill City Scene. Pick up a hard copy in the Twin Cities; there's also an interview with Eyedea and a bunch of other content.
8. A little further down the road: Label-mates QUILOMBOLAS will be having a CD release party on 1/30 at the 7th St. Entry. I'll be performing, Maria Isa will be performing, more more more. Should be a great time.
9. A million other things I'm forgetting.